“I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent, caring for myself is an act of survival”. – Audre Lorde
We all know deep down that self care is important but a lot of us struggle to recognise when we need it, why we need it, what we need and how to make it happen. Here is 101 ideas on things you can do to take better care of yourself, to love yourself that little bit more, to challenge your growth and learn something new.
I have split this list into 3 categories, Mind, Body and Spirit. You should all aim to do something under each category regularly. I would suggest trying the following:
- 3 things daily
- 3 things weekly
- 3 things monthly
I keep the daily things for the quick and easy self care ideas and the weekly things and monthly for something a little more difficult or time-consuming.
Instead of just reading this list and moving on I have decided to start a social media challenge. This is to help encourage everyone to make their self care a priority, to inspire others to focus on their own self care and give each other ideas on how to do it.
To learn about and participate in the challenge, follow me on social media by clicking the links below… it will be worth it!
I hope that people can use this list and participate in the challenge as a way of proving to themselves that not only do they deserve self care but that it is a necessity.
1. Start a gratitude journal
2. Practice mindfulness
3. Speak kindly to yourself for 24hours – try not to self-criticise
4. Set goals on paper – what, why, action plan and timeframe for each goal.
5. Reminisce with old photos, videos or messages
6. Recite affirmations
7. Express your feelings to someone you trust
8. Try to focus only on positives for 48 hours – no complaining!
9. Change your thinking patterns – turn your negative thoughts into positives!
10. Watch/read motivational content every day
11. Read a new book
12. Write something – a blog, story, diary entry etc.
13. Look at inspirational/motivational quotes
14. Reduce your screen time
15. Complete some brain teasers – riddles, word search, crosswords, sudoku etc
16. Learn something new – choose a topic and research or sign up to a new course
17. Learn to set boundaries and say no
18. Create a morning routine to start your day off right
19. Adult colouring
20. Get organised – to do lists, planners, filing etc
21. Declutter your home
22. Write a positive review about a product, service or business on their page, website etc
23. Start a jigsaw puzzle
24. Listen to an audio book
25. Knit something
26. Watch your favourite childhood movie
27. Go to the movies by yourself
28. Make a bucket list
29. Go for a 20-30min walk
30. Go for a jog/run
31. Get some sunshine
32. Go for a swim
33. Pamper your skin
34. Dance to your favourite song
36. Do some yoga
37. Get a massage
38. Play your favourite sport
39. Create a sleep routine
40. Do some pilates
41. Go bike riding
42. Focus on hydration
43. Go hiking
44. Plan a camping trip
45. Run/walk stairs
46. Do some breathing exercises
47. Get outdoors and garden
48. Go and see your doctor for a health check-up
49. Jump on a trampoline
50. Get out on a scooter
51. Walk the dog
52. Work out at the gym
53. Eat right
54. Attend a martial arts or self-defence class
55. Have a hot cup of tea
56. Have a hot bath or shower – add magnesium for tired muscles
57. Attend a group fitness class
58. Spend time at the beach
59. Try a Tai Chi class
60. Give yourself a manicure & pedicure
61. Visit a sauna and relax
62. Eat mindfully and without distraction
63. Find your purpose
64. Donate to a charity of your choice
65. Grow connections
66. Spend time being still and silent in nature
70. Complete a 10-minute body scan
71. Do a few 2-minute breathing exercises throughout your day
72. Do something nice for someone you love
73. Complete an act of kindness for a stranger
74. Spend time with the right people
75. Help someone – hold a door, let someone go before you, carry a bag for someone etc
76. Intentionally find a few things in your environment you find beautiful
77. Take a social media break
78. Volunteer for a charity or fundraiser
79. Create your own fundraiser
80. Start a support group or community class
81. Get involved within your community
82. Write letters to the people close to you detailing what you love & appreciate about them.
83. Change it up – choose a different route to work or change up your routine
84. Create something
85. Find a hobby
86. Listen to music
87. Plan a holiday (even just a night away)
88. Bake something for your neighbour or friend
89. Buy yourself or someone else flowers
90. Watch the sunrise of sunset
92. Try aromatherapy
93. Cuddle someone
94. Send a care package in the mail to someone you love and miss
95. Spend time with animals or a pet
96. Write a love letter to yourself
97. Lay on the ground and watch the clouds float by
98. Star gaze
99. Shop for yourself – retail therapy without over indulging
100. Go for a coffee or meal alone
101. Clean Your House
Inspire others and join the challenge
These are just some of the self-care ideas that I have come up with, self care is different for every individual. Implement what works for you and makes you feel good. It can be anything you enjoy doing.
You might just find this challenge teaches you something new, creates valuable change in your life, inspires people to take action and to know their worth and reach their potential.
If you don’t share on social media then at least give this a go for yourself. After all it can’t hurt!
Love Yourself More
Love Yourself with Action
Take the Challenge!